Eco Code five Houses
Affordable Eco Code five Houses With Lifetime Homes Standards, Mile Oak
We were commissioned to obtain permission for two affordable eco code five homes on this unusual site. The site itself has had a long planning history with a refusal for Outline Permission. It also had some
tricky challenges, such as its proximity to the busy Brighton bypass.
The brief from the developer was to build two affordable houses on the site, constructed from traditional materials but with very sustainable credentials. The planning authority at Brighton and
Hove would only allow permission on a site which was previously garden land if the houses could reach Code for Sustainable Homes Level 5.
A traditional semi-detached form was chosen to reflect the character of the residential area and maximise the use of the available land. To add a contemporary appearance to the scheme, special finishing materials were used. The project is now on site.
• Very high levels of insulation in walls, floors and roofs
• Engineered timber windows and doors with high levels of sound insulation and security features.
• Energy efficient light fittings and lamps
• Maintenance free timber cladding (Sweet chestnut)
• Low flush toilets &low flow rate taps and showers
• Environmentally friendly paints
• AAA rated energy efficient appliances
• Gardens with external storage for cycles, refuse and recycling bins, compost bins, water butts and washing lines
• Solar panels for producing hot water and electricity
Build Cost: £350k